Who Does Artistic Swimming?
In Edmonton, the artistic swimming community may be small, but Artistic swimming is quite popular all over the world. In the upcoming Olympics all continents are represented and a total of 10 countries will be competing in the team event.
The qualifying teams are:
Not all teams can qualify for the Olympics and there have been great efforts in other countries to become competitive in artistic swimming. Jamaica is an excellent example of a country that has been working very hard to establish itself.
Artistic swimming also has been thought as of female only sport. Many of the events in the past were female only and thanks to some male artistic swimmers efforts over decades there are now events for mixed routines male solo technical and free events.
Mixed Duet (Italy)
In my experience as a coach these are the most common reasons children start synchro:
- They love the water
- They love to dance, but not to competitively dance
- They love being under water
- They are super flexible from other sports like gymnastics, but want to do something different
- They love music and the music in artistic swimming is played under water too
- Swimming laps is too boring
- They love the fancy suits and make-up
- They love being on a team
- They love being upside down
If even one of these sounds like your child, come try out the Auroras.
contact the Head Coach