Our recreation programs are an introduction to team artistic swimming for children ages 6-12 (exceptions may be made by contacting the Head Coach). It's a great way to find out if artistic swimming is right for you! Although we are not a learn to swim program, your child will become a better swimmer. Being able to swim is a skill needed for artistic swimming, so we make sure to work on swimming skill along with artistic swimming skills. Many guardians are surprised at how well the kids learn to swim in our programs.
For the 6-12 year olds, kiddos must be comfortable in the water and be able to swim 15m with an aid.
Information Booklet from last season to give you an idea of what to expect.
Here are some of the skills swimmers will learn as the progress through:
- basic swim strokes and propulsion
- front flutter, side flutter, back flutter, front crawl, back crawl and breast stroke
- simple and advanced floating
- sculling (using their hands to maneuver through the water)
- positions (moves with the legs out of the water while breathing and upside down)
- eggbeater (moving in all four directions and advancing to arms out)
- going under water and upside down (getting comfortable in the water)
- a routine to show to family and friends
- fun in and under the water and with music (we have an under water speaker and the kids can hear music while under water)
This is a traditional artistic swimming class condensed into 1hr and happens earlier on a Thursday to accommodate children who are homeschooled or have early out.
This is a traditional artistic swimming class offered in 90 minutes.
A water based movement class for 7-12 year olds. This class we require the kids to be a little older to start. Movers will work on body control, balance, agility, coordination and speed. They will also explore floating, going upside and boosting out of the water in a fun, engaging environment. We are trying to encourage boys to join our sport so this class is not a traditional artistic swimming class. Artistic swimming will be taught but in different way.
All kiddos must be comfortable in the water and be able to swim 15m.
Provincial Wildrose Classic and Masters Provincials
Stay tuned for more details!